To be Gastby…you must travel! There is too much of the world unseen by our kind. The lavish trips to the jungle retreats, “If you are not moving….then your growing roots” – as my grandfather used to say. So after 10 trips this year, I felt it was time to touch on the “Travel Bag” of the Rich and Grimey.
Travel Bag 101 By: The Gatsby
1) Luggage – you must have a dapper piece of luggage. I use a Gucci
– logo printed over sized bag. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Before I headed to an event in Hawaii, I purchased the bag. The pretty flapper next to me on the plane brought it up within 10 minutes of take-off, she was impressed that I had a Gucci but more importantly that I could talk high end luggage. Gucci
, and George Guest
all make fantastic bags for day trip and also for overnights. Check them out if you don’t have a Gatsby dwelling for your Gatsby wardrobe.
2) Sunglasses – a must for any trip. 2 pairs is my rule.
3) A book – I do read. You should if you don’t. Magazines are in the kit….but a solid book to read on lay-overs, lines, luncheons alone, or a topic to bring up with new people where your going…….remember if you travel, you wont always be where you are…..so be diversified and cultured. Malcolm Gladwell is a fantastic author…Hunter S. Thompson……Wade Davis…….educate yourself my dear boy…..
4) Headphones – You can go ear buds or you can go with a “ear couch.” I have a great pair of Nixon headphones that are total couches. They cover the entire ear and blast sound. I love silence in the airport. Silence from the crowd and sounds of my own. Check Munitio
…ear buds for the Bass enthusiast!!!!
5) Music – ’nuff said
6) Magazines – get a couple your interested in….Rolling Stone
is a favorite of many a celeb and jet setter….fashion, music, distant destination, and finance magazines will enlighten your brain and also help with the new people your gonna have to talk “shop” with.
7) A Watch – How many times has your cell phone died on a great trip? How many times has a gorgeous woman grabbed your wrist to see the time? How many times has a gentleman commented on your lovely wrist wear? How many times have you shown someone a watch to read the time?…..all things you should start considering…..if your a true Gatsby. I have a Gucci Chrono, Tag
Oyster Face Link, Michael Kors
flat steel, and a Black on Black Croton
. The bigger the better for Men. The crisper the better for Women. Michael Kors
has a fantastic women’s watch collection, as does NOOKA
for you hipster chics.
8) Hat & Cap – bring a high end head piece and a casual day rider. Always be ready for new adventures on your travels; their around every corner. New Era
and a Brixton
….easy fix for this dilemma
9)Mouthwash – It’s easier to use. Easier to carry and most of all………keeps you fresh for a first impression.
10) Camera – of some sort….to make sure you have a record of what happened. When you re-connect or meet these people after your travel…you want to know what to talk about; like how you liked their shirt….or how funny it was at “blank” place…….also a thank you for showing you around town is always a great way to make a solid contact in a new area.
11) Something to share with your new market…….clothes, music, fashion, lifestyle, food……anything that you can share that will make a mark on your new friends. I have a personal gift that I bring to share and express my delight in any new area of fun, grime, Gatsby, or events.
You only get a first chance to make a Gatsby lasting impression
Good luck…………..Travel well…………