Published on June 4th, 2013 | by gatsbyadmin0
How to Stay Cool, Green & Gatsby this Summer
During the heat of the summers on the Front Range, the Grimey always stay cool, and part of that is staying green. The key is to work with the heat, not fight it.
Here are some tips to help you keep your summer cool, green, and of course, Grimey.
- Use your car less! Those leather seats will burn your legs anyway, and your car’s AC not only uses more gas, but also creates worse emissions. It’s warm enough to walk, longboard, or ride your bike when you can. Don’t have a bike? Denver has one of the largest Bike Sharing programs in the country. If your journey is a little far to walk or bike, consider the bus or lightrail. Denver’s RTD system is pretty extensive, especially with the addition of the new W Line. Check it out below so you know where to catch the W line.
- Don’t use appliances that heat up the house! Who needs a dryer when it’s 90 degrees outside with 10% humidity? Same with the dishwasher – simply removing your dishes when the wash is done and letting them air dry is a small step in reducing your carbon footprint and keeping your house cooler without using air conditioning.
- Plant some trees in your yard. Not only will they provide shade for your house and AC unit to save you from the heat of the sun and lower your energy costs, but they’ll release lots of oxygen and absorb carbon dioxide. While you’re at it, plant some fruit and veggies out there too! Tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, and beans all do great in Colorado during the summer. Check out the Grimey Gatsby Grow Hour radio show for some awesome growing tips for both indoors and outdoors, product reviews, and lots of other great advice on reducing your carbon footprint through growing and gardening.
- Eat foods that keep you cool! Some popcicles contain fruit and are a great ice-cold, low-cal option. Sandwiches, cold soups, and salads of all kinds are also some great healthy (and cheap!) options. The Food Network’s website has a pretty nice collection of delicious fruit salads and more!
- Stay green while traveling. To compensate for the emissions from your plane/train/automobile trip, you can contact the Green Hotels Association for accommodations with sustainable earth-friendly practices. If you can, bring your own shampoo and leave the tiny plastic ones unopened for the next guest. Try to use all-natural suncreens if possible – there are chemicals in most sunscreens that not only pollute water, but can also bleach coral reefs.
- Pick up some trash! While you’re out burning those calories, walking instead of driving, or frolicking in a park, picking up just 4pieces of trash cleans up the earth and makes bike paths, sidewalks and parks more enjoyable for everybody.
Taking one of these small steps or even one week will put you on your way to staying green, Gastsby and cool for summer 2013. Be sure to stay tuned to The Grimey Gatsby and #4pieces for more summer sustainable living tips. And as always, spread the Grime and keep it Gatsby.